Most businesses in the present era are gradually transferring their entire infrastructure into the cloud. It is because you can access your documents from around the world. The traditional storage of files and documents has become a part of our history books. It is because there is a massive transition in digital technology. So, if you are also keen on transferring all your data to the cloud, you need reasonable knowledge about its various services.
There are only three types of cloud services that you can choose according to your requirements. Hence, it is a requirement that before you use any of the cloud services, you must have explicit knowledge of the features and usability of IaaS vs. PaaS vs. SaaS. It will help you to choose a suitable model for your business.
What is Cloud Computing?
Cloud computing has changed the entire traditional infrastructure of computing. Install large servers, storage devices, and software is not required. You can store everything in the cloud. Moreover, it is safe and secure, bypassing all the hassles of computer crashes, software upgrades, and similar technical obstacles. You can store your data in the cloud and retrieve it conveniently.
However, it would be best if you had a proper internet connection to access your data from the cloud. It is so flexible that you can retrieve or upload data from your Android phone. Hence, Cloud Computing plays a dominant role in bringing about a change in our computing infrastructure.
Types of Cloud Computing Services
1. Software as a Service (SaaS)
We need various types of software for our work, but we cannot purchase them due to their high cost. SaaS, one of the models of Cloud Computing Services, offers you the perfect solution. You can now access any software just by paying the subscription fee, and there is no need to purchase the software as they are expensive. One of the features of Saas is that they host the software in the cloud.
You can access it only after paying the requisite fee, just like using something on rent. Hence, you save much money by purchasing the software. Moreover, installing the software onto your hard drive is optional. Therefore, it also eliminates the requirement of purchasing extra storage space in your computer.
Characteristics of SaaS
The following are the key characteristics of SaaS.
- SaaS is operated from one central location, giving access to various software types.
- Since SaaS is hosted from a remote server, you can easily access it with an internet connection.
- You do not have to worry about software and hardware updates as they are taken care of from the central location.
Advantages of using SaaS
- Reduces your time: The primary advantage of using SaaS is that since the software is already in the remote server, you can access them at your convenience by paying some fee as a subscription. Hence, you do not need to spend time installing the software as it provides ready-to-use software and updates.
- Cost-effective: One of the primary reasons users and businesses are moving towards the services provided by SaaS is because they can access the software of their choice within their budget. There is no need to spend considerable money on purchasing the software.
- Latest updates: If you are using software through SaaS, you can rest assured of its latest updates. There is no need to bear extra expenses to purchase new software updates, and any new releases or updates are taken care of by SaaS.
Also Read: Trends and Benefits of Serverless Computing in 2023
2. Platform as a Service (PaaS)
As an application developer, you must first concentrate on installing the necessary software and hardware. A lot of time and money is spent on organizing the infrastructure. Hence, it deters you away from the actual work. But now, there is a solution to all your issues. With the help of PaaS, one of the Cloud Computing models, you can now concentrate only on developing the application.
PaaS provides you with the perfect platform where you will get access to all the software and hardware necessary for your application. However, you need to pay a fee to use the services. Once you pay the fee, you can start developing your application without worrying about other secondary issues.
Characteristics of PaaS
The following are the critical characteristics of PaaS.
- PaaS offers numerous services that can help you in the process of development of the application.
- You may access innumerable users.
- You can create your app with the help of unique software components of PaaS.
Advantages of using PaaS
- The cost of investing in PaaS is much less as it does not require installing hardware or software.
- Since PaaS is cloud-based, anyone can access it from any corner of the world.
- Special tools in PaaS allow you to test your app using various platforms.
- It has the best cloud computing application development model.
3. Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS)
Cloud computing services have changed the entire physical infrastructure of our traditional computing. You can now use virtual machines over the net by paying the requisite fee. IaaS provides you with all the requirements virtually so that you can carry out your work efficiently.
There is no need to worry about hardware and software, including maintenance, as everything will be taken care of by IaaS. You can use the service of IaaS at any time by paying the due subscriptions.
Characteristics of IaaS
The following are the critical characteristics of IaaS.
- The cost of using IaaS varies according to your usage.
- One of the critical features of IaaS is that it allows multiple users to function with only one hardware piece.
- The services offered by IaaS are unmatchable.
Advantages of using IaaS
- Saves the extra expenses: One of the advantages of using IaaS is that you can spend less money purchasing hardware and/or software. IaaS provides you with the infrastructure at a lower cost, and you can buy according to your requirements and pay them accordingly.
- Faster marketing of your product: Since IaaS provides you with the necessary cloud infrastructure, you can market your goods faster, and it will thus help your business to grow faster.
- Use and Pay: One of the key benefits of using IaaS is that you only pay for what you use. Hence, it lowers your expenses as you will be paying only that much that you are using.
IaaS vs. PaaS vs. SaaS: Full Comparison
The following is a brief comparison of SaaS, PaaS, and IaaS in cloud computing:
IaaS vs. PaaS vs. SaaS Examples
Following are some famous IaaS, PaaS, and SaaS examples.
- IaaS – Some common laaS examples are Amazon Web Services, Digital Ocean, Linode, Microsoft Azure, and Google Compute Engine.
- PaaS – Some famous examples of PaaS are Windows Azure, Google App Engine, Apache Stratos, and Heroku.
- SaaS – Google Workspace, Dropbox, GoToMeeting, and Salesforce are some famous examples of SaaS.
Also Read: Guide to SaaS Application Development in 2023
The Final Word
In the recent past, cloud computing has evolved as a winner in the digital world. It is the best thing that has happened. Now, it is because cloud computing is responsible for transitioning from traditional computing to the present situation. Also, it is safe and also saves a lot of time and money.
Moreover, one of the most incredible benefits of cloud computing is that you do not need to cramp up your hard disk space. It is because you will use the software only from the cloud. Therefore, you must do a brief study of the different models of Cloud computing before accepting any one of them.
Want to Develop a Cloud-Based App?
MultiQoS provides cloud applications with high security, performance efficiency, and operational excellence.