According to studies, the market for face recognition technology is predicted to expand at a CAGR of 14.8% between 2020 and 2027. Given that the FRT market is anticipated to increase to $12.92 billion by 2027, it is one of the biometric technologies that is expanding the fastest.
Why is Facial Recognition Technology On the Rise?
While it began as surveillance technology to track down criminals and aid in border control, today app with face recognition is promoted as a tool to guarantee security, boost patronage, amuse users, and do much more. Additionally, FRT is changing dramatically due to its expanding use across several businesses and sectors. It gives a wide range of apps the ability to identify users using visual biometrics. As a result, face recognition technology is employed for many different things, such as:
- Identification verification using biometrics
- Store’s automatic checkout procedure
- Management of the workforce and campus security
- Client confirmation
- Identification of patients
- Smart banking
- Visual search’s capacity to find products
- Genetic disease diagnosis
- Fraud prevention and store security
- Conducting cardless ATM transactions
- Image recognition of food
- Enhancing user interaction on social media
According to a NIST report, face recognition software and systems are 99% accurate when looking up images in a database. According to Bloomberg, the worldwide FRT market will increase at a CAGR of 21% to reach USD 11.62 billion by 2026.
These numbers and industry trends show how rapidly FRT technology is developing. Let’s discuss how you may put face recognition software into practice if you intend face recognition app development.
What is A Face Recognition App?
A face recognition app is a mobile program that examines facial patterns to recognize or verify a person’s identity. It uses biometric technologies, deep learning, artificial intelligence, and data learning. This program scans people’s nodal points and facial patterns and compares them to a library of previously recorded photos or videos. While it is mainly used to verify individuals accurately, facial recognition software, however, is utilized for a variety of different tasks outside only authentication.
Top Facial Recognition Apps
While there is numerous face recognition software that effectively applies technology to improve user experience, here is a curated list of the most popular facial recognition applications:
- FaceLock: You may now unlock your phone and applications that contain your confidential data using the facelock function. Additionally, it helps to safeguard your private data as the user can easily lock all private and secure applications on their phone with this app.
- True Key: This program was created by Intel Security to prevent you from entering lengthy passwords to launch mobile apps. If the app cannot detect your face, it will request another biometric authentication method instead of your passkey. Your phone and its applications are kept safe in this manner.
- FaceVault: This program is compatible with all Apple products. The app will open for you after it has identified your facial characteristics. It will ask for pattern locks to let you launch the app if it cannot open or identify your face.
- FindFace: This app is used for verification in addition to facial recognition. Therefore, you may submit the image and search for the individual using social media to know who they are. In 0.3 seconds, the program scans 250 faces. It is really efficient and helpful. It works well as a recognition app as well.
Apart from these, other programs that have gained popularity include Nametag, Luxand facial recognition, and facial lock screen.
But How to Do These Face Recognition App Work?
Although facial recognition app development has been utilized in movies, it is rarely accurately portrayed. By developing a unique algorithm, each face recognition system operates differently. However, the process can be broken down into three straightforward categories of technology:
Phase 1: Detection: The process of locating a face in a picture is called detection. You’ve probably used a camera that recognizes faces and automatically focuses by drawing a box around them. By itself, it prioritizes locating a face rather than the identity concealed behind it.
Phase 2: Analysis: Next, the app maps faces by measuring the spacing between the eyes, the chin’s shape, and the distance between the lips and nose. This information is then further transformed into a Faceprint, a series of numbers or points. Even though analysis can have errors and flaws, including misidentification, such issues often arise when the Faceprint is put into a database for recognition.
Phase 3: Recognition: Recognizing someone in a photo is an attempt to affirm their uniqueness. This process is used for identification, which aims to respond to the query “Who is in this picture?” or for confirmation, such as in a security feature on a new smartphone. And this is how technology actually works.
Facial recognition technology can find faces and compare them to other faces in the database once trained to recognize and identify faces. This is when the program attempts to identify a person using photographs from various sources by cross-referencing images in a database of photos. The findings are then shown, often sorted by accuracy. Although these systems seem complicated, you can create your facial recognition system using common software if you have any technological know-how.
How Can You Develop Your Facial Recognition App?
The development of AI development solutions has to follow a specific procedure since it uses cutting-edge third-party APIs, cloud integration, artificial intelligence, and computer vision.
Step 1: Define the project’s specifications
Numerous scenarios call for the employment of facial recognition programs. It may be used for various purposes in banking, finance, security, and marketing. Therefore, defining your project’s needs is the first stage in creating a face recognition program. Before proceeding, you must decide why you want to make face recognition software. You need to ascertain the following details for this:
- Who are you trying to reach?
- Which mobile OS platform is more popular, iOS or Android?
- Which characteristics stand out?
- What information must your app identify?
- What did you hope this software would help you accomplish?
Step 2: Choose the Key Features
Applications for facial recognition technology include identification verification, surveillance, marketing, innovative banking, and more. Consequently, you should decide which features are necessary for the app based on your needs or use case. You can combine the following standard components of a face recognition application with the help of mobile app developers:
- Image Detection
- Identification using computer vision
- Image evaluation
- High precision when matching databases
- Algorithm precision
- Access control and fraud prevention in data security
Step 3: Select the Technology Stack
You must choose a technological stack to construct a face recognition mobile app. The tech stacks for developing face recognition applications that you may select for your project are listed below:
- Frameworks: Android Studio, React Native, Flutter
- Face recognition APIs: Google’s ML Kit, Amazon Rekognition, Microsoft Face API
- Programming languages: Swift, Objective-C
- Frameworks: Native iOS SDK, React Native, Flutter
- Face recognition APIs: Firebase with ML Kit, FaceX, Facial search, and recognition API
Step 4: Search for a reputable mobile app development company
You must make a sensible choice of a mobile app development company with a track record of integrating technology to create face recognition features. To allow all the necessary functions in the app, ensure they integrate the appropriate SDKs and APIs. Additionally, they must also have a specialized staff of programmers, AI experts, and IT professionals who work on building software and apps for face recognition.
Step 5: Testing and Launch
It is crucial to test your facial recognition software. The program requires advanced data security capabilities to safeguard this data since it handles sensitive user information, such as face ID. Your face recognition app development team must carry out a variety of tests to confirm the app’s security requirements. You are now prepared to launch or deploy your app after the team has approved it.
Now that you know how to develop a facial recognition app, it is time to pay attention to the application development cost.
How Much Does It Cost to Build a Facial Recognition App?
A face recognition app is a high-end smartphone app since it includes ML, deep learning, augmented and virtual reality technologies, integration of specific APIs, and more. Further, the face recognition app development cost could also be used to integrate a different app. Therefore, it is essential first to understand the project needs to estimate the development cost. However, the price range for creating facial recognition software may range from $10,000 to $30,000 based on the features and functionalities.
The use of custom face recognition apps for iOS and Android is rising steadily in popularity and will soon permeate our daily life. It is only simplifying our life. Additionally, this improves the security of mobile apps we often use and depend on, including banking and personal finances. After all, utilizing technology is supposed to make our lives simpler.
While the iPhone unlocks if you perform a specific activity, some mobile applications may amuse you by altering your look, etc. The key to your password and access to private information is your face, which is the main point. You can hire a reputed mobile application development company in India and fully understand face recognition technology and the possibilities it offers for your apps.
Looking for Custom Face Recognition App Development
Our experts will provide you with comprehensive consultations on utilizing facial recognition in the most effective manner.
FAQ about Face Recognition App Development
Facial Recognition app development takes 3–4 weeks for a straightforward app, 6-7 weeks for a medium-sized app, and 9–10 weeks for a more involved app design process, including several UI and UX professionals.
Machine learning can be used to automate image data collection for facial recognition systems. Web scraping or crawling is also used when data is taken from known or unknown internet sources.
Low image quality or terrible lighting conditions can influence facial recognition systems. Due to obstructed camera angles, the data may not match the subject’s nodal points. This might result in an error when comparing faceprints that cannot be validated in the database.